Wednesday 7 November 2012

Evaluation on Oral Presentation



EDITED VERSION: 
 
A big relief for ending my final presentation on a high note! 

I do believe all the trainings from the peer teachings, mock interviews and ‘elevator pitch’ have provided me with greater confidence in myself and the ability to cope under duress. However, despite all these practices, I still felt uneasy and nervous when I have to give the final presentation of this module. [EDIT: help provided by Chandra]

The fact that our group crafted the proposal together have helped us tremendously as each and every one of us were thorough with the content of our proposal and ultimately contributed to the ease in forming our presentation. [EDIT: help provided by Chandra] Though we allocated ourselves with the main bulk of the proposal that we had written, the difficulty of converting a proposal into a presentation is still a difficult task. [EDIT: help provided by Chandra] From our mock presentation, we understood that our presentation should not simply be a replica of our proposal. But rather, a form of a marketing plan where our proposal should be a support to our presentation instead. Hence, we revamped our entire presentation and made it as interesting as possible and tried not to overload it with technical jargons so that our stakeholders would be able to understand. [EDIT: help provided by Chandra] In the event that our stakeholders are interested in our proposed solution, we can then provide them with the technical information that they may be interested in, which is at the back of our fingertips.

Despite so many rehearsals and practices done on my presentation speech (waiting for the bus, meal times and many other occasions),  I still had frayed nerves and at times, felt like giving up. Nonetheless, I am so glad I pulled through in the end!

After my presentation, a few of my classmates commented that there was a stark difference in my presentation style this time round as compared to my previous presentation for my peer teaching. They added that the Shiying that have presented earlier on does not felt like the usual Shiying that they knew. I always thought that I should be formal for such a presentation and had practiced so hard to try and sound professional as I usually talk in a much more animated way due to my character. [EDIT: help provided by Chandra] However, I do feel a little dejected after hearing such a comment because I thought they might mean that ‘I sounded very fake’, and I was trying to ‘act out’ the presentation. Another weakness of my presentation was that I should have included some statistical data to prove and support my points. While I thought that such figures should be minimized in a presentation and tried out narrating more this time round, I realized it was a wrong move. Another improvement I could have done is to sound more convincing and engaging instead. I understand that in a formal presentation is very different from a peer teaching presentation, which is why I tried not to ask questions and it would be awkward to establish any games to entertain the audience, I believe that all these could be achieved if I were a much more dynamic presenter and attract them simply through thought-provoking and impactful use of words and ideas.

Despite all these weaknesses, I am still pretty proud of my performance this time round. 

Firstly, I managed to establish longer eye contact with my audience, especially to Laura, since she was appointed the role of the NUSSU president and she is the person we are trying to get our proposal approved. I am really thankful to Huiyun for always giving me that assuring smile whenever I established eye contact with her. It helped to alleviate my level of nervousness during the presentation.
Secondly, I did not blank out this time and managed to deliver the bulk of my presentation and thirdly, I did not fidget as much as before and tried to develop a stable stature while presenting.

With each presentation, I am becoming an even better presenter. Hopefully by the time that I graduate, I would be ready for THE WORLD.

16 comments:

  1. Dear Shi Ying,

    I did not realize many weakness you mentioned. I feel you gave out the presentation naturally and confidently. I agree that you during the presentation was not the same as you in normal but it's natural because you was doing a formal presentation to NUSSU and other stakeholders. All of us, during presentation, have to control our words so that they don't sound very informal. I don't think it is a fake :D
    I also agree that you should have included some statistics to make your argument more persuasive. I find the presentation of your group a bit lacked of statistics (a little bit surprised because you are a Statistics student :p) I agree with you to not ask questions during the presentation. From my understanding, this presentation is to selling ideas to the important stakeholders of the project to get their approval. For example, imagine when my group present to the Provost, the OED, we can not ask them questions :p
    Overall, despite of the weaknesses, your presentation was very good and persuasive. Your tone was clear, natural and enthusiastic. I really like your group's presentation :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment Thao!
      But despite all these weaknesses, i do feel that i improved from my peer teaching presentation, which is a good thing!

      Delete
  2. Dear Shiying,

    As a fellow team mate of SHSS , I can actually relate to your experiences during your preparations for the oral presentation and thus I felt that you did a great job as you never showed any signs of nervousness or discomfort during your presentation.Moreover,I felt that you were able to hold the attention of your audience as you were speaking in a very clear and concise manner.In addition to this, I personally felt that the 'professional' or 'formal' tone you used during your part is perfectly apt as it shows that you can effectively take up different roles depending on the situation you are dealing with .
    Overall,I can safely say that you have become a very good presenter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shiying,

    Even with all the weaknesses you have mentioned, I still feel that you had done a pretty good job this time round. Congrats! On the part on trying to be formal, I actually feel the same way as well. I was a little not used to your way of presentation in the beginning, maybe because we have become accustomed to the bubbly Shiying in class. Nevertheless, I think that the fact that you tried to match your presentation style to the situation is still applaudable, so don’t feel too dejected about it. After looking through your group’s video, I feel that you maintained your composure rather well and I did not sense that you were very nervous when you were presenting. Although at times, you will forget what you intend to say, it did not affect the delivery of the presentation on the whole. In summary, it is a clear and convincing presentation and you are definitely on your way to become a better presenter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yeawen!
      I guess i need to tone down the Singaporean Shiying in class next time. This also signaled the fact that i do not portray myself very well in the normal conversations, which i think is the biggest weakness. I tend to be very animated. However, one should be more mature and be able to bring him or herself well through one's daily conversations with others. I will improve on this!

      Delete
  4. Hi Shi Ying,

    It is heartening to read that you have achieved greater confidence in your ability after the module. I also have similar experience as yours and hope that I am able exude greater confidence in my presentation. I think your group approached the presentation in similar manner as my group that is to assign the role in presentation according to the part that each member has written in the proposal. We also encountered the same problem as yours in terms of conversion. From my observation of your group presentation, I believe that your group has successfully shaped the content of your proposal into an attractive presentation.

    I do not think it is entirely wrong to “appear fake”. All of us do put on some behavior that is not characteristically ours when we appear in public. As Shakespeare said: “All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely actors.” I think it is appropriate to speak formally and professionally in a presentation rather than speaking in animated way.

    You have indeed improved your presentation skills throughout the module and now are able to appear more confident in your presentation. I hope that your confidence in your ability does not stop you from growing.

    Regards,

    Eric Linardy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eric.
      i do hope i have garnered enough confidence in this module to present in other situations as well. I was afraid that the reason why we could improve and appear much more confidence was beacuse we are so used to each and every one in the class. We are able to present with lesser fear because we understand our audience. If I were to be thrown into another setting, would i still be able to perform as well? Or will i be back to square one and stammer my way through?

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shiying,

    You did a great job as the first speaker of your group presentation. Personally, I do not think that the way you presented sounds "fake". In a formal presentation, every one of us shouldn't speak in a way like how you talk to friends on normal day. Otherwise it will not be formal anymore. You can have your own character on normal days, but certainly you have to adjust to the "formal" mood of the presentation. Overall, your group did a great job on the slides as well as the delivery of content. One thing I admire is your composure during presentation. You always seem very nervous before the presentation, but how did you manage to calm yourself down back to normal when you are presenting?

    Nevertheless, thumbs up for you!:)

    Cheers,
    Yong Sheng

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey ShiYing,

    Why are you feeling so dejected when I felt that you did a great job? I thought that you were in control of your pace and content in the delivery of your speech. I think that you were confident of yourself and I could relate to what you were saying.

    Being animated is not a bad thing. Use it as your strength. I think you can spread the cheerful nature of you to the audience and this can be your definite advantage. Take charge of your presentation and move towards the crowd. Spread your energy and "animated spirit" to the audience. I think it would not harm to create a lively environment even in a formal setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Shi Ying,

    Thank you for such a long, interesting blog post and your group has done a very good job for the oral presentation. I have to agree what Bernard has said. You should not be feeling dejected at all. I am the one who gave the comment on sounding a little 'fake' and I shall tell you why I gave that comment. I have seen you present before in peer teaching and also, you are one of the more outgoing students in class, so more or less, I know your communication style. There is no doubt that you have gained so much more confidence in this presentation as compared to peer teaching, where you sounded nervous. You can be a fantastic presenter, and you have a cheerful nature about yourself, like what Bernard say. Like how Bernard presented, I almost thought he was happily selling insurance to me. It was very entertaining. And I believe both of us can do the same thing. I am a joker by nature and I am still finding a way to present both formally and entertaining at the same time. With that said, I just want to congratulate you on a excellent presentation.

    Min Thu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct one mistake.

      1) I 'was' the one who gave the comment...

      Min Thu

      Delete
  9. Hi Shiying

    Just like quite a few have already mentioned, I also do not agree with some of the weaknesses that you have mentioned, especially, "sounded fake" part. You are bubbly and cheerful but you accustomed yourself to the situation and were very formal. This is not being fake. It is a necessity for people to behave and talk according to the situation. In fact that is the mark of a mature person. And do not become formal in your daily conversations. Be the same!
    I felt that you spoke really well. I couldn't really compare your OP and your peer teaching because they were really different from each other however one fact that stood out was that you were a lot more confident. Its difficult being the first speaker in a presentation because you set the mood for the audience and it needs to be powerful. I thought you achieved this with elan. However, at one stage I felt that the introduction was probably becoming a bit too long. This was my personal opinion and others might not have found it too long. On the whole, well done Shiying.

    Now as for your blog, there were some tense problems that I noticed.

    1. However, despite all these practices, I still feel the uneasiness and nervousness when I have to give the final presentation of this module. => I still FELT uneasy and nervous when I HAD to give the final presentation of this module.
    Hope you get it. You are talking of an already completed event.

    2. The fact that our group crafted the entire proposal together have helped us tremendously where each and every one of us are thorough with the content of our proposal and ultimately contributed => The fact that our group crafted the proposal together helped us tremendously as each and every one of us were thorough with the content...

    3. Though we mainly allocated ourselves with the main bulk of the proposal that we have written, the difficulty of converting a proposal into a presentation is still a difficult task. CAN BE REWRITTEN AS => Though we allocated ourselves with the main bulk of the proposal that we HAD written, converting a proposal into a presentation was still a difficult task..does this sound better?

    4. tried not to overload it with technical jargons so that our stakeholders will be able to understand. => so that our stakeholders WOULD be able to understand sounds better though I am not too sure about this.

    5. I always thought that I should be formal for such a presentation and have practiced so hard to try and sound professional as I usually talk in a much more animated way due to my character => and HAD practised hard to sound professional sounds better.
    As a blog post too, this was a very nice post. You have explained every aspect of your OP right from your rehearsals to your nervousness just before the presentation. You had to be formal during the OP and you were. Nice presenting and nice post Shiying. And yes, I give you permission to have charger ports!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shiying!!!! Stop having such a bad confidence in your self!! You know you did it well, just believe in your self. As everyone else said above everyone felt that you did a really good presentation. And since I presented with you in the peer-teaching and in the business proposal I can also see that you have improved tremendous and you have become more confident. The night before you weren't stressing out that much, like with the first presentation.

    Instead of repeating everyone else I will end it her. Just one more thing, I said it already but I will say it again: Believe in you self!

    -Sumea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last edited on 20 November 10:01am

    ReplyDelete