Wednesday 14 November 2012

My Reflections ...

Forewarning: This is a really long post.

Being born in a Chinese-oriented family; one who had always been failing English tests; one who memorized her way through General Paper in Junior College; one who failed her Qualifying English Test(QET) and had to go for additional English modules in NUS, picking up ES2007S, ANOTHER english-related module was not an easy choice. Nonetheless, there no single moment in which I have ever regretted taking this module. Through the activities I have done in the class, I have nothing but great memories of the class and will cherish the lessons I have learnt from this class. I believe they are of high importance as these components will carry on even after graduation and into my career in the future.

1. Resume and Application Letter Writing
As a person who had never viewed resumes and application letters to be of much importance, being given the task to peer teach this topic truly opened up my mind on how impactful a good resume can be. I am thankful for the editing efforts contributed by my classmates in spicing up my resume and understand the objective of my resume to market myself well. 

2. Mock Interview and “Elevator” Pitch
These two are the funniest and most terrifying exercises for this module. It is terrifying at the receiving end but enjoyable being the mean interviewers. Though I do feel that we are not given enough trainings to call ourselves experts in handling interviews, I do feel much more confident in going for an interview AND interviewing people. I am acquired with the knowledge on what possible questions I am to expect and trained to think and speak on my feet to impress my interviewers. 

3. Minutes of Meeting, Proposal Writing and Final Oral Presentation (OP)
I was never appointed as a secretary due to my poor writing skills. Being the secretary for my group project certainly threw me out of my comfort zone to look up on the proper way on writing minutes for the team, which I am glad I finally learnt how to. I always assumed Minutes of Meeting to be easy, but there is more to what a GOOD Minutes of Meeting can bring us. For other modules, where proposals are a must, we were never provided with any guidelines on how an impressive proposal should be. We simply get the main idea written down, add some images, line up some references and never to get them back to know our mistakes. In this course, we were actually provided with the proper way to write one and also the chance to amend our mistakes. Last but not least, is our OP. Better late than never, I am glad to understand that there is no such thing as the PERFECT presentation for all. Different presentation serves different needs and objectives that the presenter wants to bring across to the audience or the stakeholders. Now that I understand this important fact, I believe my future presentations would be able to achieve my intended goals.

Throughout the whole course, I believe I did not merely acquire all these straightforward learning outcomes. In addition, I also gained valuable life lessons from my friends and my tutor. Before enrolling into the university, my life had rather been a smooth sailing one. I never once had doubts on any choice that I’ve made and had always been performing to my best in everything I do. Up till the point where I have to decide what to study that dictates my future, I am stuck. I went to architecture and switched to statistics, and to be honest, this is still not what I want. I was in agony every single day of my university life and I was regretting every single choice I made. The competitive spirit in NUS did nothing to ease my agony. University was a cruel place where everyone refuses to help one another just so that you are at the other end of the bell curve where he or she can take advantage of.

However things were different here. In this class, everyone is so helpful and this is the most united class I had ever been to since the start of my university journey. These are the group members who I do not mind having projects through late nights, and these are the classmates I had great lunch times and conversations with. I realized results are not everything in life, but the great experience and strong relationships with people are what that is going to bring one far in future with no regrets. In Professional Communication class, not only are we exposed to how one should communicate professionally, but also how to strike daily conversations and establish true relationships with one another. I am really thankful that Brad tried to make us work with different groups of people for every different assignment so that we will mingle around, rather than forming cliques. 

I am thankful to Han for always challenging my thinking process and consoling me that results are not a good reflection of one’s ability and to always trust myself. I really admire his complex way of looking at things and how he always managed to come up with brilliant questions. Seriously Han, can you stop being so clever? XP

Thank you Ding Ding and Sumea, my 2 exchange group mates who have showed me that even as an exchange student, one can still give his or her best for the sake of others. My friends always warned me not to group with exchange students because their grades do not matter so long they passes. And they are the ones who will be MIA(missing in action) most of the time or present substandard work. However, this was not true for Dingding and Sumea. Both of them were always trying their best to alleviate my work load and worry if they were doing enough so that I can get a good grade. Thank you Sumea and Dingding for showing me the correct way of learning, and I hope to be able to spread such positive attitude on my exchange trip.

To my beloved Huiyun who I always thought I had great affinity with, it is a pity we were never in the same group for any major assignments. However, I am thankful for having you around to have “Singaporean-talks” with me all the time and always giving me that reassuring smiles and nods. 

I will miss the “girls talk” with Minthu, Ronald, Bernard, Han, Rohit and Chandra before class or during lunch at Kou Fu. I really love the chatting sessions and it was fun having you guys that made this class so enjoyable and interesting. 

Thank you, Eric and YongSheng, who I believe are my 2 number 1 blogfans and always providing me with insights through your comments.

Thank you, Sai for always making my day with your dance moves and the never-ending whistling(which annoys Sumea all the time). 

Thank you, Thao for always being so kind and spread that contagious smile of yours throughout the whole course.

Thank you each and every one of you. And thank you Brad for making all these possible.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Shi Ying,

    It is nice knowing that you regarded me and Eric as your number 1 blog fan! :) Although sometimes my comments may sound weird (but I hope not) due to my poor command of English, but I hope my comments on your posts served its purpose well in bringing the idea across to you and at the same time are effective or feasible. Anyway, you do not look like someone who failed English tests. From your posts, you seemed to be proficient in English. These twelve weeks of ES2007S is coming to an end and all of us had learnt and improved along the way. Let us put all these that we learnt into good use in our daily lives as well as when we are pursuing our career in future.
    It is nice knowing you in this course! See you around in other stats modules in back in science faculty! :)

    Cheers,
    Yong Sheng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yong Sheng.

      No. I do not feel that your comments were weird in any way. And yes, i believe all of us have improved tremendously through these 12 weeks and hopefully we will continue to improve outside of this class. See you for stats classes!

      Shiying

      Delete
  2. Hi Shi Ying,
    I will also miss our fun talks before class and lunch at Koufu. I have always thought of you as one of the most fun people in ES2007S. I also applaud you for your blog posts which are so personal and informative. Your comments are also the most detailed and carefully written. I also really appreciate the bookmark you made for me (thank you). You an extremely talented individual who will do very well in life. You are also very strong and this will always get you through any situation. Never lose your happy attitude, see you around!

    Cheers,
    Rohit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rohit!

      I believe it takes great courage for others to comment on my blog post too. After all, people are afraid to deal with touchy issues. I am thankful you guys have made the point to comment on mine. I have learnt alot from you too. That aura of confidence that you exudes really influenced me, which I hope is something I will be able to develop one day. I will continue to be happy, because I know that there are you guys around that make my day.

      See you around!

      Shiying

      Delete
  3. HELLO MY BELOVED SHIYING!

    Yes, the feeling's definitely mutual! But I'm thankful for the last lesson, we finally got to work on a minor discussion together! I'm going to miss the "Singaporean-talks" because they really make my day a lot, so I'm hoping these talks will not stop with the end of this module.

    Reading your posts, listening to you speak, I'd never have guessed you've been failing English. So I guess it's rather safe to say that your command of English has certainly improved by leaps and bounds over the years?

    I'm equally touched to be a part of such a bonded class, and I believe all of us have taken a lot from this wonderful journey too. In a way, I feel you, because as of now, Computer Engineering isn't really something that I want too. Yet, it's because of CEG that I have to take this module. All I want to say is, no matter how agonising university life is, your strength and perseverance will eventually lead you to the hidden hope somewhere, like how you've chanced upon ES2007S. So don't ever give in to the cruelty of life (not just uni life) and as Rohit has mentioned, never lose the happy you! Happy days knowing you throughout these past 12 weeks, thank you for being such a sunshine!

    And thank you for your bookmark, it's really sweet of you! Take care and we'll definitely meet soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Huiyun!

      I guess you are right. If i have not changed course, i would never have had bidded for this course. If i had not been in statistics, i would never have taken CS1010 and changed my view on computing. I would have still been that ignorant little girl who knew nothing about learning, who have no intention of improving the way i communicate and the importance of how i portray myself.

      I am glad you like the bookmark! We will. Definitely.

      Shiying

      Delete
  4. Hello my friend!

    I do not find this a long post at all. I enjoy reading it actually. There is one thing in your blog that I cannot believe. You have been someone who fail English in the past and yet, you are such an amazing communicator. Unbelievable!

    Thank you so much for all the sweets you have given me and the lovely 'bookmark', which has now become my most favourite and permanent bookmark for the books that I am reading now. Let's keep in touch more often and go out with our class soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Min Thu,

      Yes, i am THAT bad in English. Imagine the agony of having to write and communicate in English everyday. It is still a difficult task to do so despite so many years of trainings, because i always have difficulties to express myself. And when i couldn't think of a way to express that thoughts, I attempt to draw things out. Hence, i think the reason i like design is derived from my inability in linguistics.

      I am really happy you like the "book mark". I was afraid no one would care about it and land them in the rubbish bin. I am glad it is of great use to you! And Yes, and see you soon for our class outing!

      Shiying

      Delete
  5. Hello sweety!

    I will for sure miss you allot!! And by reading this post it made me realize how much I have experienced with everyone and everything I have gone through this semester. The tears were hard to hold in. You always made my day in class by being cheerful and impulsive. I just love your personality! One thing I noticed was your description of English problems??? I didn't know you had that much problems compared to me. Since you are the one usually correcting other peoples blogs on they english. I'm not near as good as you. And if you fail those english testes I would have done it for sure, maybe I would passed either.

    I wish you could come to Norway and visit me, I really want to show you around. Will miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sumea Mama,

      Time flies so fast and a semester is gone. I am sad to see you go back to Norway. If I earned enough money to, I will definitely pop by to Norway to find you! We shall keep in contact via cyber space till then!

      Shiying

      Delete
  6. Wow! What sweeping, comprehensive reflection, Shiying! You certainly cover a lot of territory in this post, documenting your reaction to nearly every assignment and activity (or at least many!), and what you don't achieve in the way of conciseness you reach in sincerity and passion. As your guide through ES2007S, I'm very content that you can mention so many learning outcomes and life lessons. But what especially wars my heart is how you make special mention of your building relationships. This important facet, the interpersonal, seems to be downplayed in many ways in discussions of an education in the university. Not in your post though. And certainly not in the comments from your course mates. This shows me just how much you have gained in real-life communication, the umbrella under which our professional aspirations really are parked.

    I've thoroughly enjoyed working with you this term, ShiYing. You brightened the class with your smile and enthusiasm. Keep up the positive vibes and the hard work, and you will always be the sunshine of your social circle. That's not a bad thing at all!

    Enjoy your continuing learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brad,

      Thank you for your compliment. =) I guess days of drafting this final post is not in vain! It was not easy trying to reflect upon a whole semester's worth of intensive learning and be able to note them down in simply one blog post, but i am glad i sort of succeeded in a way?

      I enjoyed working with you too Brad. You are the most committed tutor i ever encountered in university and your attitude certainly spurs me on every now and then. At some point of time, i was wondering maybe i should study communications study after my statistics course. I would like to learn more about it and if possible, spread the love. But that's if my command of English allows me to. Till then, i shall finish up my current course and earn some bucks to pay off the debts!
      I will miss you, Brad

      Shiying

      Delete
    2. Further study in the field of communication after you finish you current course would be an excellent life choice, ShiYing. Let's talk about that when we meet. :)

      (And your English is great. No worries!)

      Delete
  7. Very well-written reflection Shiying. It is so sad that we are parting ways. As Brad as mentioned, since day 1, I was a fan of your cheerfulness. You and Hui Yun used to be ever cheerful and that is something I am envious of. I like the way you place the relationships you built and the knowledge you gained during the course of this module, over the grades you will get. And I am pretty sure that you will get amazing grades too. As I mentioned in my reply to your comment on my blog, one disappointment for me is that I didn't get to work with you. Anyway, I hope we do work together sometime over the next 3 years. Wish you the best of luck, Shiying!

    ReplyDelete